Checkmate Your Opponent With a 25th Anniversary ‘Street Fighter’ Chess Set
When one thinks of Street Fighter, one thinks of those days in the arcade when you lined the top of said arcade machine with quarters, ready to take on the next chump who dared step up to you with his weak Dhalsim skills. Now 25 years later, Street Fighter is still going strong, and Capcom wants to celebrate the beloved fighting franchise with a chess set. Nope. Not a typo. A chess set.
Available for pre-order on their website, the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Chess Set is a pretty awesome chess set for those of you willing to fork over $299.95. Only the hardest of hardcore Street Fighters will want to spend that much money on small pewter statues of Ken but if you’ve ever walked into an anime store, you’ve seen a lot stranger things for kids to purchase.
The chess set is a Capcom exclusive with a limited run of 5,000. And each piece is individually numbered.
Here’s a rundown of the features included:
- Highly-detailed silver and pewter-colored resin pieces ranging from 1.75″ to 3.25″ tall
- Each chess piece stores conveniently in a protective custom slot under the chess board when not displayed
- Large 18″x18″ smoked and sandblasted glass game board
- High-quality black wood storage case with polished chrome latch and hinges and a large Street Fighter® 25th Anniversary logo laser-etched into the lid
- Storage case doubles as playing surface with the glass board’s feet nesting safely in small holes in the case lid
- Roster includes Ryu & M. Bison (kings), Chun-Li & Juri (queens), Ken, Guile, Balrog & Vega (bishops), E. Honda, Blanka, Rolento & Akuma (knights), Dhalsim, Zangief, Sagat & Seth (rooks), Ryu’s fist & Shadaloo winged skull (pawns)
- Certificate of authenticity
You’ve gotta admit, it’s a beautiful looking chess set. Imagine suckering Ryu into a trap so your Chun-Li can take him out with those massive pewter thighs. Blanka will probably be as worthless on the board as he is in the real game.
And if your friend starts kicking your butt, just Shoryuken the freaking board into next week. Your friend was probably cheesing the whole game anyway.